Rice is the basis of Japanese sushi. Therefore, in order to properly prepare the dish, and it turned out, you should know how to properly cook rice for sushi. The first thing you need to focus on is that you need to use special Japanese rice for sushi. Such rice has a special stickiness, which does not allow it to be friable.
If it is not possible to purchase special rice for sushi, you can do with ordinary round-grain rice, it also has the property of being well-digested. Rice should be seasoned with sushi sauce. It consists of rice vinegar, kombu algae, sugar and salt, as well as mirin (rice culinary wine).
Sushi rice preparation technology
Before cooking, rinse thoroughly with cold running water.
The Japanese claim that rice needs to be washed at least seven times, otherwise it loses some of its taste.
After washing, you need to throw rice on a sieve and give it time to stack. You need to cook rice in a deep enameled pan with a thick bottom. There should be more water than rice by one fifth (200 grams of rice 250 grams of water).
Put the lid on the pan over medium heat and bring the water to a boil. Then the fire needs to be removed to a minimum and cook for 10-15 minutes. During this time, the water should be completely absorbed.
Rice should be cooked without salt and seasoning, and always with a closed lid. If you stir or open the lid, the steam will come out and the rice will turn out not as it should. When the rice is ready, it must be turned off and let it brew for 10-15 minutes under the lid.
For prescription sauce you need mirin or sake. But if this is not, then it is quite possible to replace rice vinegar with sugar and salt. Proportions for the sauce: 2 tablespoons of vinegar, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of sugar.
All ingredients must be mixed and slightly warmed until sugar and salt dissolve. Put the finished rice in a wide bowl and pour over the sauce, quickly mix with a wooden spatula with chopping movements. To make the rice shine beautifully while stirring, it needs to be cooled with a fan.
- The first thing to do is thoroughly rinse the rice cereal and leave it for about an hour in a sieve.
- Then pour into a pan and fill with water at the rate of: 250 g of rice – 300 ml of liquid. When choosing cookware for cooking rice, keep in mind that it should be filled no more than 1/3 of the container.
- We put on the fire and cook for 15 minutes on low heat, while not opening the lid. After that, let the rice brew for another 10 minutes.
- While the rice is infused, prepare the sauce: mix 25 ml of rice vinegar with 20 g of sugar and 2.5 g of salt, mix everything thoroughly.
- Then we pour already cooked rice with this mixture, but do not interfere, but gently turn it over.
- For greater aroma of rice, you should put a small piece of kombu algae in water, which you need to remove before boiling water.