Even though females compose a large portion of the gaming market, most people donâ€™t recognize just how many female gamers there really are. Men are known as the majority of gamers, and this is true. What many people donâ€™t know is that the market isnâ€™t as male dominated as you might think.
Only 55 percent of the market belongs to men. The other 45 percent of gamers are women. Not only that, but the majority of them are over 18.
Some of the biggest advancements in the gaming industry involved women. For example, Centipede used early artificial intelligence programming that later helped programmers develop modern intelligence coding. Only two people developed Centipede, and one of them was female.
Portal is recognized for its advanced physics and interesting mechanics. A woman helped develop this game. She and a group of friends first started work on Narbacular Drop, which was used as the basis for the Portal franchise.
Women have also influenced writing in the gaming industry. While some games are known for being childish or having thin plots, the Legacy of Kain series was set apart due to its mature story telling and intelligent writing. A woman did the vast majority of the writing.
Another area that is experiencing a major female influence is mobile gaming. The entire Temple Run series was developed by a woman who was determined to make small games that would appeal to the majority of gamers. Some of the most popular mobile gamers were partially or exclusively made by women.
Even though only a small number of women create games, they have left a mark that few can ignore. Itâ€™s time for more women to join the gaming industry to create even more advanced games and ideas 🙂